When you send e-mails from your Magento shop with no
return-path set, the
return-path will default to firstname.lastname@example.org. This e-mail address may be recognised as a spam address by spam filters, as it is a very generic email used on all Hypernodes with the same email configuration.
To avoid outgoing email being detected as spam, you should change the email
return-path for your outgoing email to a valid email address (e.g. email@example.com) which can be managed with your own SPF settings.
If the recipient is using SAV (Sender Address Verification), and the e-mail address is not reachable, or the SPF record does not match the email source, a spamfilter could see this as a spam message.
Table of Contents
Change Your Return-Path
Every e-mail has two senders. The first sender is the From line that is seen in the mailclient as the recipient. The other is the Return-Path. The latter address is used for errors (bounces) to control the delivery of the mail to the sender.
Set the Return-Path for Your Magento 2 Shop
Please also read about the known bug in Magento 2 about setting a return-path.
To set the return-path for your Magento 2 shop log in on the admin panel and follow the instructions:
- Login to your Magento admin panel.
- Navigate to Stores > Configuration in the side navigation panel.
- From the Advanced section, select System and in the dropdown on the right select Mail Sending Settings:
- Change Set Return-Path to “specified”.
- In the Return-Path Email field, set a valid email address:
- Click Save Config to save the changes.