Find your performance bottleneck with New Relic
Table of contents
- 1 Why use New Relic?
- 2 New Relic is a third party tool
- 3 Activate New Relic
- 4 Troubleshooting
- 4.1 I’m getting The New Relic integration requires the New Relic-PHP 5 agent while my PHP version is set to PHP 7`.
- 4.2 Turn off New Relic transaction tracer
- 4.3 I’m getting: Fatal error: Aborting! The New Relic imposed maximum PHP function nesting level of ‘5000’ has been reached
- 4.4 Disable all apdex notifications for New Relic.
Why use New Relic?
New Relic gives you real-time and historical information about the performance of your shop. Some important features:
- Easy to use; one click install.
- Gives you a clear overview of possible bottlenecks: pagespeed, transactions, error rates, slow queries and many more.
- You can add alerts for when the performance or error rate reaches a specific threshold.
- You can customize and filter the output so it only gives you information you need.
- Use it to measure performance before and after you make adjustments, so you will have scientific data on which scenario performs better!
New Relic is a third party tool
Thanks to our partnership with New Relic, all of our customers get the New Relic plan lite for free!
If you require more advanced profiling, such as application trace details, you can upgrade to a paid Pro plan. For questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Activate New Relic
Activating New Relic is done on the Byte Service Panel. Follow the next steps to activate it:
- Log in on the Service Panel
- Select your Hypernode.
- Click on the Hypernode tab.
- Click on the New Relic option.
- Click on the Activeer het gratis! button.
- Check the Ja, ik ga akkoord! button.
- Press the Activeer New Relic button
- Press the Naar New Relic button to go the New Relic dashboard
Please take into account that it takes a most 10 minutes for our system to actually create the account. Grab a cup of coffee and relax, while we create your account!
The New Relic integration requires the New Relic-PHP 5 agent while my PHP version is set to PHP 7`.
This error appears when the native Magento New Relic extension is installed in your webshop while the New Relic extension is disabled.
To solve this, log in on our Service Panel and enable New Relic.
Turn off New Relic transaction tracer
In some very rare cases, when you have enabled a huge amount of extensions, or use code with an extraordinary amount of recursion, the detailed tracing might add some overhead to your sites performance. In that case, you should disable trace details by putting these lines in
[newrelic] newrelic.transaction_tracer.detail = 0
Fatal error: Aborting! The New Relic imposed maximum PHP function nesting level of ‘5000’ has been reached
This error is created by the New Relic PHP extension and is caused by an infinite recursive loop within Magento.
The New Relic PHP extension detects this loop and exits the PHP process before PHP runs out of cstack frames and crashes with a segfault.
We already changed the maximum nesting level for this extension from 500 to 5000, which should be more then enough for Magento, so if you run into this error, check your New Relic traces to find the recursive loop.
As a quickfix it is possible temporary change the value from 5000 to something bigger. This will not fix the issue as the cause is still there, but it will remove the error message.
To do this create a
.user.ini file in
/data/web/public with the following setting:
And restart PHP-FPM for the changes to take effect immediately:
$ pkill -9 -u app php5-fpm
Another option is upgrading to the latest Magento version, as Magento fixes this problem in
Disable all apdex notifications for New Relic.
To disable all
apdex notification mails:
APMand scroll all the way down to the bottom to the section
Default application alert policy
- Now set both the red and the orange apdex warning to
- Unselect the “Alert when any ping URL is unresponsive for 1 minutes”